07 February 2011

Make-up Drawer Organization

My make up drawer looked like this:


It was messy and not user friendly, I was constantly digging through the entire pile of stuff to find the brush, blush, ect. I was looking for.

So one day when I was in the mood to organize something I decided to tackle the project. I went to The Container Store to find an organization solution. When I got home I dumped the contents of the drawer on the counter top.


I then removed the old contact paper drawer liner. That's right that is not wood grain, it is wood grained paper; most likely put in the drawer sometimes in the 70's. Yuck.


The raw wood wasn't much better so I replaced the old liner with cork contact paper. I figured the cork would provide some slip resistance to the bottom of the drawer and a little bit of give for when I inevitably drop something into the drawer.

 


At the store there were multiple organizational options. Most of them were some version of multi-size boxes that could be used in any combination, but I didn't go that route 1. because I didn't measure the drawer before I went shopping and 2. because I want to be able to customize the size of the sections to my items. So I selected this 3" divider system.


The system consist of divider slats and channels to secure the dividers with double sided tape to secure then in place


I cut the strips by scoring them to length and then snapping them along the score line. The strips need to be about 1/2" shorter than the actual distance to accommodate the channels. I figured out the divisions I wanted by using the actual items that would be going in the sections.


The finished project:


Three weeks later it still looks like this, and works much better than the mess I started from.

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment